So you’ve got your serendipity cookies and you’re not sure how to proceed? We’ve put together some instructions to help you get the most out of them.
If your set includes blank strips of paper for your own ideas, start here:
- Take ten minutes to think about things you could do instead of eating a biscuit or snack. Things that would do you good, but that you might not do automatically. For example go for a walk, eat an apple, ring a friend, listen to a favourite song, look at pictures of baby animals on the internet…
- Write each of those things on one of the blank strips of paper.
- Put each strip into a serendipity cookie and fold the sides of the cookie over. See the photos to get a better idea of how to do it.
- Then carry on with the instructions for the printed strips.
If your set includes printed strips of paper, start here:
- Put the serendipity cookies in a tin, box or bowl on your desk or somewhere nearby. Somewhere you can reach them easily, preferably somewhere nearer than the actual biscuit tin! The easier it is to reach them, the more often you’ll use them.
- Go about your day, and whenever you feel the urge to reach for a biscuit or snack, reach for your serendipity cookies instead.
- Choose a serendipity cookie, pull out the paper strip and read what it says.
- Just do it! Even if you don’t really feel like it to start with.
- If the task isn’t doable right now – for example if it says to take a hot bath but you’re at work – then plan it in for later.
- Give the task or question your full attention.
- Additional step: keep a small notebook handy and jot down your experiences with this exercise. In particular become aware of how you felt. This step isn’t essential, but it can be very effective.
- Take a few deep breaths, and then go back to what you were doing.
Repeat as often as you like. After using the serendipity cookies for a while, you’ll notice that your body and in particular your brain get used to being rewarded by these moments of peace and reflection, instead of by sweets or snacks.
We’d love to hear about your serendipity cookie experiences. Either by mail to email@example.com or on Facebook or Instagram. And if you have a photo of you using the serendipity cookies that you’d like to share with us, we’d be thrilled to see it.